Pictured above is my husband Alan (on the right) with his childhood friend Andy. Since this picture was taken, Andy has run more than 30 marathons, completed 13 triathlons and has become a certified running coach. Despite all these accomplishments, Andy always made time to go for a run or walk with Alan, even after he was diagnosed with cancer.
It was no surprise to me that Andy connected with The Ulman Cancer Fund’s CANCER to 5K Training Program – a FREE 12-week training program designed to introduce or reintroduce cancer survivors to training for and completing a 5K road race.
Research has now shown that exercise is especially important for cancer survivors both in and out of active treatment. Regular exercise not only improves mood, boosts self-confidence and reduces fatigue, but there is loads of evidence suggesting that higher levels of physical activity can help keep the cancer from recurring.
The Cancer to 5K Training Program is a progressive run/walk program designed to get cancer survivors to the 5K finish-line happy, healthy and injury-free.
* Who can join? Cancer to 5K is open to any cancer survivor regardless of age, location, treatment status or fitness level. Survivors who have completed treatment as well as survivors who are currently undergoing treatment can participate.
* Where is training held? If you live in the following areas, certified running coaches and experienced volunteer runners (aka “Sherpas”) will help train you in a small group setting. Each 12-week session is limited to 10 participants. Click HERE for exact locations in:
- Washington DC/Northern Virginia
- Montgomery County Maryland
- Howard County, Maryland
- Baltimore, Maryland
- New York, NY
- Chicago, IL.
* What if you live elsewhere? If you live outside the current group training areas, you can still participate with The CANCER to 5K “At Home” Training Program. As a Cancer to 5K “At Home” participant, you will receive one-on-one coaching with a Cancer to 5K coach. Workouts will be sent to you via email, and you will have access to your coach via email and phone.
Registration for the fall training season is now OPEN!
Group workouts will begin in August 2014.
“At-Home” participants can begin training anytime.
For more information, contact Program Manager Laura Scruggs via email at email@example.com or via 410.964.0202 x108.
Please note: A medical waiver must be signed by the participant’s current primary care physician to ensure that training for a 5K won’t negatively impact treatment or recovery.