Gift Cards for Cancer Patients

Gift Cards for Cancer Patients

gift cards for cancer patients

Often times, it’s the little things that people say or do that make a big impact in our lives.  The Cancer Card Xchange does just this…

The Cancer Card Xchange collects gift cards from donors… any re-gifted or newly purchased gift card in any denomination from $5 up to $100.  Grocery stores, restaurants, drug stores, department stores, movie theaters, gas cards, any national retailer actually.  Then, they distribute these gift cards to cancer patients across the country.  Gift recipients are mailed a combination of up to $100 in various gift cards. AMAZING!

Founder & cancer survivor Emily Thomas’ goal is simple… “to brighten the day of someone going through a difficult time”.  And let’s face it, we all know how stressful and difficult a cancer diagnosis can be (and that’s an understatement). A little sunshine can sure go a long way.

So how can you get a gift card(s) sent to you or a loved one facing cancer?

Contact The Cancer Card Xchange directly.  They distribute one-time gifts of various gift cards to verified cancer patients.  (Sorry but there are shysters out there faking a cancer diagnosis- I just read about one shyster doing this in the NY Daily News– UGH!).

P.S.  Interesting fact about gift cards:  Did you know that according to national statistics, there are tons and I mean tons of unused, unspent gift cards.  Recent figures by global financial services consulting firm TowerGroup in Boston estimate that $2.5 billion went unused on 2010 gift cards, and a total of approximately $41 billion worth of gift card funds has remained unclaimed since 2005.  A recent Consumer Reports poll shows that although 113 million Americans received gift cards during the 2010 holidays, a quarter of those still hadn’t used them by the start of the 2011 holiday season.  (source:  Memphis Daily News)  Why not re-gift these to a cancer patient and brighten someone’s day?!

25 thoughts on “Gift Cards for Cancer Patients

1. Monica Bumper

I my name is Monica Bumper and I have Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I’m having trouble with paying gas for my car to take myself to treatment. I would love a appreciate a gift for gas. Thank you
    MonicaB

2. Catherine Fannin

My boyfriend has stage 4 stomach cancer. He can’t work anymore. He takes his treatment an hour and a half away from where we live. We also are struggling with his medicine. He’s taking chemo treatments. Please help us.

3. Michelle Griffin

My name is Michelle Griffin, I had breast surgery on the 4th of October. I’m trying to get a grocery gift card. I’d really appreciate it. Thank you 💜

1. Robyn Post author

Hi Vicki, please contact the Cancer Card Exchange directly as they provide the gift cards to patients. They are a truly amazing organization and will hopefully be able to help you.

4. Bryant Cornelius

To Whom It May Concern,
    My husband Bryant has stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. I was wondering how he can get a gas card and a grocery card. We live in Houston, Texas. He has finished his radiation and now he is starting back on chemotherapy again. We need some help. We both are disabled and get disability which isn’t much. My # is 842-692-7948 if you have any questions.
    Best Regards,
    Stephanie Cornelius

1. Bryant Cornelius

This is Stephanie Cornelius about my husband Bryant Cornelius. I put my phone # on there it is 832-692-7948 not 842.
      Stephanie Cornelius

2. Robyn Post author

Hi Stephanie, please contact the Cancer Card Xchange directly as they provide the gift cards, CancerHawk simply lets people know who provides services and assistance.

5. jeanette sheets

hi requestig gift card assistance for myself single mother with no income or money to pay for gas to get to cancer center 2 1/2 hrs from where i live.how do i apply please thank you

6. Christina Ashmore

i am requesting a gift card for mysefl i have cervical cancer stage 3b and they also found it in my right lung and in a lymphnote i would appreciate it very much due to my inability tobwork because of the chemo

7. c j pointer

I’m in home health and have a friend that has melanoma a mass on the frontal lobe of the brain is having surgery around the week of the 24th of January she worked for 22 years and is disabled Was wondering if you had any types of gift cards that she could use God bless you

8. l.kempster@hotmail.com

Hi, I a asking for a gift card for my sister Valerie. She has lung cancer. She is undergoing chemo now. We are hoping for surgery soon, instead of more chemo. Are your cards just for breast caner patients?

9. l.kempster@hotmail.com

HI, I am requesting a gift card for my sister Valerie. She has lung cancer and is going thru chemo now. awaiting the time she can have surgery. Are your cards just for breast cancer patients?

10. Nelson

Hello my name is Nelson, I was diagnosed with Sarcoma in January of this year. I live in Skokie, IL. I wanted to know about any financial assistance that can help with groceries, utilities, rent gas, daycare expenses. I live with my family and had to get a job even though I’m undergoing chemo to help with the living expenses. Any information will help. Thank you

1. Robyn Post author

Hi Nelson. I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. There are organizations that may be able to help you. Visit https://cancerhawk.com/navigator. Type is your diagnosis, age and zip code of where you live. Then under Types of Assistance, check off the areas like grocery assistance or living expenses that you are interested in. A list of organizations that may be able to help you will be listed. You’ll need to connect directly with these organizations as they provide the services. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. xo Robyn

11. Robyn Post author

Hi Ashley, Thanks so much for connecting with us. I’m so sorry that your son has cancer. You are in the best possible place for treatment though. St Jude’s is amazing. What type of cancer does he have and what type of assistance are you looking for? You can also search through our site to read about different types of available assistance. Please let me know and I’ll do my best to help you in any way I can. xoxoxoxoxo Robyn

12. Robyn Post author

Hi Alice, I’m so very sorry that you are dealing with all of this on top a breast cancer diagnosis. CancerHawk does not actually provide direct assistance. However, we connect you with organizations that do provide various sorts of assistance. Based on your note, I think you should connect with the following organizations for financial assistance: CancerCare http://www.cancercare.org/; The Pink Fund http://thepinkfund.org/; The Chain Fund http://www.thechainfund.com/; and the organization that I wrote about here called The Cancer Card XChange http://www.cancercardxchange.org/. Pls let me know if any of these organizations are able to help you. In addition, please go to the lower left hand corner of our website where is says “get help by diagnosis”; type in breast cancer; and articles on different organizations that provide all sorts of assistance will pull up. If I can be of any further assistance, please email me robyn@cancerhawk.com. Sending you much love and light. xo Robyn

13. wanda morren

I have stage 3 breast cancer. We live in Ms & go to Oschners in New Orleans,,,,I have a total of 33 radation treatments I’ve had 3 surgerys, chemo so I am on the last leg of this journey. If I could get some help for gas it would be greatly appreciated, its 120 miles round trip,,,food would help also, My husband & I are both disabled, I don’t know where to turn to thank you

1. Robyn Post author

Hi Wanda, Thanks for connecting with us. There are quite a few organizations that may be able to provide you with travel assistance. (CancerHawk does not actually provide direct services- we simply connect you with organizations that do- kinda like matchmakers). I have several suggestions based on your note:
      1. Connect with National Patient Travel Center – they can advise you on ground transportation options up to 300 miles to get to and from treatment
      2. Connect with Mercy Medical Airlift http://mercymedical.org Their Angel Wheel provides commercial bus or Amtrak tickets or gas cards to eligible recipients.
      3. Connect with CancerCare http://www.cancercare.org/ They have oncology social workers who can help find resources and assistance for you free of charge.
      4. Connect with the Pink Fund http://thepinkfund.org/ They provide various types of financial assistance for breast cancer patients.
      5. Connect with the Cancer Card XChange http://www.cancercardxchange.org/ They give cancer patients $100 in gift cards. The cards may or may not be for gas but you can make requests.
      6. I wonder if Free GasUSA which provides assistance paying for gas to get to treatments, grocery shopping, and other places of necessity might also be able to help you. http://www.freegasusa.org
      I hope that one of these organizations will be able to provide you with the assistance you need. Sending you love, light and healing wishes.
      Best
      Robyn

14. Brendan Bietry

To whom it may concern:

I am a social worker/patient advocate in Austin, TX and would like to request a much needed grocery gift card for a Breast Cancer/Lymphedema patient who travels significantly for her cancer-related therapy visits. She lives in a rural community outside of Austin and struggles on a month to month basis with transportation, food, and other basic needs. I applaud the work you are doing for cancer patients nationwide and appreciate your consideration in advance.

Brendan Bietry
    LIVESTRONG Senior Case Manager
    Patient Advocate Foundation
    (512) 524-1602 direct

1. Robyn Post author

Brendan, Thanks so much for your comment. I will forward your request on to Emily of The Cancer Card Exchange so you two can speak directly. Pls let me know if I can help out in any other way. Best, Robyn