Support for Jewish Women with Breast Cancer
If you are Jewish and facing either breast cancer or ovarian cancer, check out Sharsheret– an amazing national organization dedicated to helping Jewish people navigate their way through these diseases. Whether you are newly diagnosed or living with metastatic disease or simply want to learn more about genetic testing, Sharsheret offers a variety of programs designed to help navigate through every stage of the journey. Programs include:
- Peer Support Network This program connects women (or men) newly diagnosed or at high risk of developing breast cancer or ovarian cancer one-on-one with others who share similar diagnoses and experiences. Meet some Sharsheret peer supporters and hear their stories in this incredible video.
- Embrace Women living with advanced breast cancer and recurrent ovarian cancer can find specialized support through Sharsheret’s Embrace program. Here, women can join a phone-based support group and connect with other women, or participate in a monthly teleconference series featuring medical experts and professionals who discuss important topics, including communicating with your medical team, managing side effects, and navigating family issues.
- Genetics for Life Many Jewish women confront the question of whether to be tested for a BRCA1 or BRCA2 genetic mutation. These mutations are 5 times more common among Jews of Central or Eastern European descent than in the general population. According to the National Cancer Institute, 60% of women who carry one of these mutation will develop breast cancer and 15%- 40% will develop ovarian cancer. If you have a strong family history of cancer, have considered genetic counseling for you or your children, or have opted for genetic testing, Sharsharet’s Genetics for Life program arranges for you to speak one-on-one with an experienced genetic counselor about your family history, concerns about cancer risk, and the implications of genetics for you and your family. View the Booklet “Your Jewish Genes: Hereditary Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer”.
- Busy Box Many women diagnosed with breast cancer and ovarian cancer are parents seeking resources to help them address the needs of their children during diagnosis, treatment, and post-treatment. Learn how to guide your children through the cancer journey with the Sharsheret Busy Box. Each Busy Box includes resource materials and a video to educate parents about the impact of breast cancer on children. The Busy Box also features a starter kit of games and activities to occupy your children while you are at the doctor or resting after treatment.
- Best Face Forward To help address the cosmetic side effects of radiation and chemotherapy treatments, Sharsheret created the Best Face Forward Kit. The kit, mailed directly to you, includes make-up products for all skin tones, easy-to-follow make-up application instructions, and tips for those facing hair loss and changes in skin tone.
- Family Focus Sharsheret also provides resources and support for caregivers and family members.
Read more about the wide variety of available cancer support services.